Sunday, January 11, 2009

Who Puts Green Onions in Their Salsa?

A while back after eating out several times and either really enjoying my meal or thinking I could do it better I decided that being a food critic would be the best job ever. I love to go out to eat and I really enjoy great food so even though I won't be getting paid I am going to start giving reviews on the restaurants that I feel needs to be discussed.

So back to my title "Who Puts Green Onions in Their Salsa" who does that? Well I tell you who...Garcia's in Eagle River does... at least they did Friday night. Here is the breakdown: 1-5 1-terrible 5-good

Service
: 4 for the hostess they walked around screaming the names of those who were waiting after it was obvious they were no longer there.
5 for the waitresses they never let our glasses go empty, they were prompt, and one gave me a compliment.

Atmosphere: 4 it was loud but not overpowering and they decor was fitting.

Food: 2.5 the salsa was terrible (green onions & lack of salt). Steven and I got the Lalapolooza Platter for 2 the enchiladas were good but everything else was blaaaa. The beans were cooked under the heat lamp so they were stiff and crusty. And I'm not really a fan of veggies in my Spanish Rice.

Price: 3.5 for the taste it was way overpriced, but for Alaska it didn't surprise me.

So overall score: 3.5

Personal Notes: Steven, my parents and I remembered why we haven't been there in years. And we probably won't be back unless they get some tips from anyone that can cook good Mexican Food. We are also a little picky because we LOVE eating Mexican food, we cook it all the time and Steven's Family is from S. Texas so they can cook it pretty good.


Here is my quick and easy Salsa recipe:

2 cans rotel
1/2 onion
1/2 bunch of fresh cilantro (use stems) and chop it up a little
Pour in some granulated garlic powder, salt, pepper, and lime juice and don't be stingy with the garlic. Whip it up a couple of times in either a food processor or a blender.

If you have never used Rotel it is diced tomatoes with a Mexican twist. You can find it in the canned tomato section in most grocery stores. You may wonder why I don't use fresh tomatoes... well if I had them and they were good I would.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Bill and I never liked Garica's either. Thanks for putting your salsa recipe online. I was actually just thinking about that today! I knew you used rotel and cilantro, but couldn't remember anything else.

    ReplyDelete